Molecular Pathology refers to the application of genetic knowledge to diagnose, monitor or prognosticate disease, or to guide its treatment. Of late, Molecular Pathology is being universally acknowledged as the modern face of Pathology and more frequently it is being defined as the Pathology of the future. However, the awareness about molecular diagnostics and its implication in clinical practice need to be strengthened in India.
In 2011, a group of experienced, enthusiastic experts in the field of molecular pathology & diagnostics in India, with the objective of cultivation and promotion of the study and practice of molecular pathology, came together to form a 'Molecular Pathology Association of India (MPAI). This association will also work as a platform for exchanging ideas, debating application of molecular assays amongst individuals from the field of biomedical sciences with special interest in practice and application of molecular pathology. The MPAI will also endeavour to create a strong bridge between the basic scientists working in various research institutes and the clinicians working in hospitals for achieving the best possible management of patients.
The Association remains conscious of the responsibility it shoulders and its activities will not be restricted only for its members, societies and professionals. It will always try to reach out various other biomedical societies to contribute to overall growth and excellence in healthcare management of the country.
The main objective of the Association is to further scientific and clinical interest by encouraging the study and practice of Molecular Pathology in India. To achieve this objective the Association shall:
- Establish standards for education and training in the field of Molecular Pathology.
- Develop and maintain Molecular Pathology Practice guidelines for Clinicians and Laboratorians through collaboration with other professional organizations, review of evidences and consensus of experts.
- Facilitate translational research pertaining to development, adoption and appropriate use of advanced molecular assays for successful health management of various diseases.
- Encourage high standards of quality excellence by creating sound quality assurance and control policies, nodal centers for proficiency testing and validations of molecular assays.
- Foster research and innovations by providing a forum for young talents for the exchange of ideas and information on current practices and advances in the field of Molecular Pathology.
- Continually enhance scientific knowledge of Molecular Pathology by organizing symposia, meetings, discussion forum, reports and publications.